Early Schools

Schools That Were Known To Be In Holt County, Missouri Since The Beginning Of The County

This information was gathered, in 1981, by the late Erma Smith Hinkle (1909-1994), a retired school teacher. The hand written record was found, in her files, after her death). Additional information, on many of these Holt County schools is now at the Holt County Historical Society’s Genealogy and Research Center, 612 State St., in Mound City MO. The Society would welcome any additional information. The Center will be open for visitors, every Monday and Wednesday, 9 am until 3 PM, beginning April 3 2017. Although the Center is closed for the winter research continues by calling 660-442-5949 and leave a message; e-mail hchs1972@gmail.com; or mail to HCHS, P.O. Box 55, Mound City MO 64470.

School Name
Location & Information
Evangelical Lutheran
St. John’s Lutheran Church, Corning
Star
Three miles east or Corning
Corning
First School built in 1870; Another 1910-1916; New one in 1916
Angel
Was in existance in 1904
Brush College #2
North of Craig
Mount Hope
Northeast of Craig 5 miles; Lawence Settlement
1874; 1891 new one built; located NE of Craig
Dale Center
Approximately 1869; North of Harold Brownings; 1867-1897
Minnesota Valley
North of Mound City
Harmony
Northwest of Maitland
King Grove
Northwest of Maitland
Eureka
1877; North of Maitland
Hogfree
4 miles west of Craig
Yellow Mansion
1892 Near Stumbo Mill; Northwest of Craig
3 Miles east of Craig; 1887-1947; Burnt 1897
New Liberty
1872 Northwest of Mound City
North of Mound City – Route C Hwy
1888 – Northeast of Mound City
Squaw Creek
Northeast of Mound City
Pine Hill
West of Maitland
1918 – Donated by J.F. Barnard
First built in 1878
Sharp Grove
North of Craig
Marietta
3 ½ miles southwest of Craig
North Center(Central)
1875-1936; 2 ½ miles southwest of Craig
South of Craig
Summit
Northwest of Mound City; 1875 was called Secrist School
Pleasant Hill
North of Mound City
South Center(Central)
North of Mound City
Franklin
Southwest of Maitland
Rising Sun
South of Maitland
Kelso
1892/1893; 4 ½ miles south of Craig
1874
Mineral Springs
#40 District; East of Mound City; Derbin FLeming Farm
Gordon
1876 – 6 Miles east of Mound City
Richland
South of Maitland
Crosen (Crossan / Monkey Wrench and Needmore)
6 Miles East of Mound City
Glendale
Burned 1895; Rebuilt 1896; 6 ½ miles south of Craig
Burned 1841 – 2 ½ miles west of Bigelow
Lakeshore #1
Between Craig and Corning
Lakeshore #2
Burned 1895; Near Big Lake
Gresham
Late 1860 – Rte. P Southwest of Bigelow
District #2; First building 1890-1914. Rebuilt 1915
Bagby
1877-1955; 3 ½ miles southwest of Mound City
South of Mound City
Shiloh (Elm Grove Community)
North of Oregon; 1870 District; 1889 Schoolhouse
Triumph
1877 School organized to 1945; East of Mound City
Fairview
North of New Point
1867; Located north of Tarkio Chapel Cemetery & Church. Moved to north edge of Leroy Hinkle Farm 1903. Later moved to Fortescue (across street from Methodist Church)
Walker
1916 – West side of Big Lake
Located by Joe Derr home and Benton Cemetery
New Point
Fist school was north across the road of Cowan Cemetery
1891 Built; 1904 Burned; 1914 Fire; North of Oregon
Haigler
1877
Old Fortescue
1906-1915; North edge of Fortescue
Fortescue
1916 – Same grounds as old building
Banks
1884
Walnut Grove
1892- West of Napier; Built by Stiegmeier
Monticello
North of Schuylkill
Idlewild (Minton)
1872 – South of Fortescue
Exodus
Northwest of Forest City; District formed 1912
Kimsey
Northwest of Forest City
Union
North of Oregon
Nickells Grove
3 miles south of New Point; Closed 1886
Marion
1850-1961; 8 miles northeast of Oregon
Burr Oak
5 Miles south of Fortescue
Near Forest City
Oakland
1888 – Northwest of Oregon
Divide
East of Oregon; Last one room school built in Holt County
East of Oregon
Richville
District #7 organized fall 1867; Built 1868
Lakeview
Unknown
1858 (Near railroad station); 1868 built on hill; 1904 torn down
Colored School #1 (Wheatley)
Oregon
Colored School #2
Forest City
Michals Grove
Unknown
Oregon
1843 Log; 1857 – Two districts united; 1869 – District formed
Millcreek
Southeast of Oregon
Mayflower
1899 – Voted to build new school; East of Oregon
Schaeffer
South of Forest City
Southeast of Forest City
Culp
South of Oregon
Chambers
1882 – Southeast of Forest City
Pierce
South of Oregon
Highland
Southeast of Oregon; Poynter’s School 1879
Baker
Southwest of Forbes
1878 District formed; 1909 – Struck by lightning; Built new 1928
Fanscher (Blackberry)
Later became Oak Grove District; School moved
Oak Grove
Southeast part of county
Wilson
Near Forbes; 1868 District; 1894 Schoolhouse built
1846; Right edge of cemetery
White
1894 – East of Oregon; Two white schools
Monarch
New one 1930 in Cannon Hollow; 9 miles southeast of Oregon
Quick
1878; Forbes Area
Center
1878
Griffin
5 miles west of Bigelow
1876 – Forerunner of NWMSU
Cottier
Unknown
Fitzmaurice
1875
Caull
1883
Helwig
896
Richville
1867 District; 1868 Schoolhouse
Forest City Select
1870 – School for after graduating high school
Richville College
Unknown
Pleasant View
1896
Secrist
Mid to early 1800’s
Poynter’s
1875
Alkire
1881 – Located in bottoms
Scholtzauer
Unknown
Minton
Near Fortescue; Later Idlewild
Yokum
1875-1876
Adams
1875
1859; Located John C. Hinkle Land
Prospect
~1885
Richardson
1884
Wright
1887; Withdrew from Craig district
West side of Big Lake
Brownlee
1877
Catron
North of Elm Grove District
Lower Whig Valley
West of Maitland
Whig Valley
1846-1847; West of Maitland
Miller
Unknown
Houston
Warren Strickler Farm
Taylor
Near Corning; Burned 1880
East Rulo
South of Boswell
White #2
Located near Fortescue
Stumbo
Called Yellow Mansion