The Holt County Missouri Historical Society was organized in 1972 to preserve the heritage of Holt County Missouri for future generations. Properties owned by the organization include:
- The 5 acre former Fortescue School grounds located on Route P at the north edge of Fortescue. It features a historic two-story brick school built in 1906 from bricks fired on the site.
- The John C. Hinkle Farmstead, a gift to the society from his great-grandson Mark Roupe and his wife Cynthia, Topeka, KS, is located about 2 miles south of Fortescue. The 3 acre plot has an 1869 brick Gothic home, a four room frame house built in the late 1800’s, a smokehouse, barn and other outbuildings.
- The former Fortescue Methodist Church building was built in Craig in 1896. After a fire destroyed the Fortescue Methodist Church in 1952, the Craig building was moved to Fortescue in 1953. The Fortescue congregation merged with the Mound City United Methodist Church in 1997 and the building was donated to the HCHS. The historic frame building with its beautiful stained glass windows is used for programs and activities.
The Society records along with genealogy and research materials are now located in the former Benne Law Office building, 612 State St, Mound City, now owned by the Nodaway Valley Bank.